Monday, December 3, 2012

Sofa dreaming

  It happened again.  Another person told us their grandmother/aunt/neighbor/whatever just got rid of a pristine 1950s-60s couch.  "They barely ever sat on it," or "it still had a plastic cover."  This leaves me wanting to bang my head on the wall and sob.  This must be the third person in so many months to tell us we just missed out on a dreamy mid-century sofa.  "If only we had known you liked that sort of thing", they say.  Ugh.
   So, I'm broadcasting it to the world.  Putting the intent into the ether...we are looking, friends! 
 I found the most amazing aqua blue, 1950s sectional, with rounded corners and peg legs.  I pressed my face against the store window like some sort of deranged stalker.  The store wasn't open.  In fact, the store has never been open in the eight years I've lived here.  I believe it's only a storage space, despite the large furniture store description on the awning.  I went next door and asked the shop owner if he knew the owner and could possibly call him...or at least look the other way while I jimmied the lock. :)  To my delight, he actually had a set of keys for the building, but as soon as I got up close, I saw a SOLD sticker on the sofa.  Damn it all! 
  I've come upon a couple of other beauties "in the wild," but was lacking the confidence to spring.  I've been a bit weary to buy anything in the thrift store.  Since I can't exactly submerge it into some disinfectant, I'd really prefer to know the previous owner. 
   So please dear friends, help a girl out.  Keep your eyes peeled for the sofa of my dreams.
retro aqua sectional Just Peachy, Darling
midcentury sofa couch sectional Just Peachy, Darling
1950s sectionalsmidcentury sofa couch mint Just Peachy, Darling Love that nubby mint green upholstery
midcentury sofa couch pink Just Peachy, Darling
Embossed designs on the backrest
midcentury sofa couch aqua teal Just Peachy, Darling
1960s daybed
Danish mid-century sofa couch Just Peachy, Darling

1960s Danish banana sofa

What's your sofa style?

5 comments:

  1. That is so disappointing. Our sofa style has always been whatever has been handed down to us (we have had some terrible bad luck with furniture...including having our entire house robbed of all it's furniture) and it's only through beautiful friends that we have managed to have a sofa at all. BUT when we do finally decorate the house with furniture we have chosen I would have to say a beautiful leather chesterfield sofa in a caramel leather (or possibly a deep red). That is my ultimate sofa dream. Good luck on your hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cringe to think of all the times I've heard people say that they tossed away mid-century (and sometimes even earlier) furniture, too. You'd think, especially in this day and age, that at the very least, anyone would try to sell something they clearly know is old before hauling it to the curb or the dump.

    I wish you the very, very best of luck in your search!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blue sofa, the very first photo. What I would give to have that in my future house! Good luck trying to find another sofa. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly, and I love your writing, keep it coming!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...